Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Winnie's DIY Play Kitchen

We fit into that widening category of folks who are broke.  We live with Jake's parents and spend about 90% of our money on food.  We don't get to go shopping or out to eat often.  We don't go to the movies. BUT, we have a wonderful life where we need for nothing, nor want for anything.  We are blessed with wonderful family, friends and creativity.  We spend our time loving each other, and laughing with one another.  We have made a commitment this year to buy nothing new (unless we absolutely must).  It's more than just a fix for our money problem.  
We have boycotted Walmart for about two years.  We believe that Walmart is a huge problem in the United States that will continue to monopolize the consumer industry and take small businesses out of the scenario.  They will continue to replace the good jobs that they destroyed with part time, minimum wage jobs.  I honestly could go on and on, maybe that's a different blog post for later.  And I'm not trying to make you feel guilty for shopping at Walmart.  Honestly. ;) 
So we shopped at Target and I remained blissfully ignorant...by choice.  But it was just a matter of time before the facts and evidence of Targets corruption came spewing out into the open and I could no longer close my eyes.  I was devastated.  Where would we shop?  We chose to vote with our dollars and I was no longer willing to vote for Target.  
That's when we thought of our no new things idea.  Everything you need has already been made.  It already exists.  Even "new" fashion is a recycling of older styles.  Why not sport the real deal?!  
So here we were at Christmas and I knew that I wanted Winona to have a play kitchen.  I also knew that a new kitchen ran about $100.  Why not make one?  Exactly the way we wanted for much less.  And so we did.  Or mostly Jake did.
 We went to our local Habitat for Humanities Restore and picked up this old cabinet for $20.  What a deal!
 The refrigerator is painted with chalkboard paint so Winona can make out her grocery list.  Right?
 Meet Roy and Bunny.  They are regulars in her kitchen and she makes sure they never go hungry.
 Something we did buy new was her dishes.  Ikea has the most beautiful play kitchen dishes and cookware.  They also have quite beautiful felt food.

 This is the inside of her fridge/pantry.  Does this feel like Cribs yet?
 Oh that's just some broccoli being rinsed off in the sink.

She is in absolute heaven and I think this year is going to be a lot of fun with our new resolution of sorts.  Next year Jake is already planning on a doll house!  EEEEK

What are some resolutions that you made for this New Year?

3 comments:

Mycharmingcolors said...

WOW!!! This is incredible!! I've seen people make their own DIY kitchen but this by far is the best one I've ever seen. To bad Judah is a boy, I need some cute DIY ideas. maybe a DIY workbench or something ;-)

and I can't wait to see the dollhouse
ps I wish my real refrigerator had chalkboard paint on it :-)

Gossip_Grl said...

I love the thrift stores too. I have gotten some hardly used toys and clothes for my grandbabies.

Whitneywaka said...

You're such a good mommy! :)