Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

     Jake's cousin has been in town for a long Memorial Day weekend.  It's been really nice being able to spend time with her.  On Saturday we went to a cookout and enjoyed the beautiful day.  The ribs were outstanding, the beer was flowing, the children were running around and we were happy.  
Doesn't she look happy?

       She really got down in the mud.  For me, one of the most challenging parts of parenthood has been letting go and allowing my child to be messy and get dirty.  Now that I have relaxed a little, it is very freeing to watch her play in the mud or smash her food up in her hands and know that this is what being a kid is all about.  This wonderful time in her life is about everything being new, the here and now. 
 
I love this festively patriotic romper.  
        As I lounged in the grass and watched my sweet girl walking around with her Papa I thought about how lucky I am.  Our life is full of love.  I am so thankful we get to share these moments together.  

     Today we celebrated with a trip to Harper's Ferry.  It was too hot to stay for very long.  (Bu-laaaaze-in!!!)  We walked the bridge across the Potomac River and soaked in the beautiful scenery.    
      We came home and grilled out.  Winona enjoyed her pool as we circled around outside with some friends and listened to Jake play sweet tunes on his banjo.  Life doesn't get any better than this.  

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

jealz! you always have so much fun!