Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Felt Strawberry Tutorial

In case you haven't heard, we are making a play kitchen for Winona's Christmas this year.  Along with a kitchen is needed food.  So I am attempting to make all of her felt foods to go in the pantry and fridge.  
I am so excited.  She is going to want to eat these!!  

What you need:
  • Red felt
  • Green felt
  • coordinating thread
  • yellow embroidery thread
  • a needle
  • stuffing of some sort


First make your circles.  I like to go ahead and trace all mine out.  Just a little FYI, a CD makes a great size strawberry.  However, I like to make different sized ones and did three different sizes.  (I'm committed to making thirty... Lets see if that really happens!)  Maybe ten?  Haha.

Once you have cut out all of your circles, cut them in half.  

Sew up the straight side making a little cone.  I prefer to use the sewing machine on this part, but if you don't have a sewing machine you can hand sew it.  Then sew on all those blasted seeds.  I hated this part.  It took about an hour which seemed like five hours.  ACK!

After you've sewed on all the seeds and taken your much needed break, make a gather stitch around the top of the strawberry.  I should have used a different color thread so you could see it.  

Pull the gather a little and stuff it with as much stuffing as you can fit.  Then pull it tight and knot it off.  It doesn't have to be pretty because it will be covered up.

Cut out a small X to go on top.  I just freehanded this as I like them to all be different.

Stitch that baby on there and voila!  Felt strawberry.  Perfect.  Delicious!  

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

OMG, Bethy! So cute! I'm totally going to do this for Maggie next year!

Rita Bird said...

Oh I love felt food. Too bad the strawberry seems to be way out of my skill range.

Keep up the posts. I'm very interested to see what other treats you concoct.

Christy Ross said...

that looks so fantastic! Good Luck with getting the rest finished.

Anonymous said...

seriously Bethy?! You are such a good mama!
- Whitney

Mandy Mc said...

This is absolutely adorable! Cady received a play kitchen last Christmas and has LOVED it. I know W will too - especially with all of the beautiful food you're making for her.