Thursday, August 18, 2011

Goat Cheese, Swiss Chard, and Bacon Quiche

I absolutely love this dish.  It is hearty and delicious at breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I made it last night, and unfortunately, the bacon I used was less than fresh.  Much less.  And I fried the swiss chard in the bacon grease.  Before I knew it, my entire quiche was infused with funkiness.  
I was thoroughly disappointed.  So many good ingredients went into the dish and were wasted.  Our fresh yard eggs, homegrown chard, and local goat cheese that we purchased at the farmers market were among the wasted goods.
But don't let that deter you from cooking this dish!  Haha.
Also, please forgive my iphone photos.  My camera batteries crapped out on me right as I was beginning to cook.  
Ingredients:
  • pre-baked pie crust
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk (organic whole milk is the best!!)
  • 3-5oz fresh chard leaves
  • 4-6 pieces of bacon (not funky)
  • 3-4 oz chevre style goat cheese

I cut the chard hearts out, although they can be cut up and kept in and are quite beautiful.  Especially when you use rainbow swiss chard.

Cook bacon, and set aside to drain.  Using the same pan with bacon grease, add chard leaves over medium high heat.  Add a splash of red wine or water, and cover with pan lid.  Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes, until chard is wilted and reduced to about 1/3rd original size.  Set aside.  Dice cooked bacon into 1/4" pieces.

Whisk eggs, cream, and milk in a bowl with salt and pepper to taste.  Pour a little more than half of your mixture into your pre-baked crust.  Sprinkle bacon, kale, and small chunks of goat cheese over the top- evenly distributed.  Add remaining egg mixture.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until the quiche no longer wiggles in the middle when you shake it.  It should be puffed and beautifully golden brown.  Allow to cool 10 minutes, then slice into wedges and serve.

1 comment:

Mycharmingcolors said...

YUM!!!! Now why don't you live down the street from me :-) I would be over inviting myself to breakfast