Thursday, June 16, 2011

Choo Chee Pla (Fish with Curry Sauce) with a side of Flamed Spinach

     Yum.  This dish is easy and delicious.  It takes about half an hour to make.  If you can get up the guts to eat some Thai food, you won't be sorry.  Both dishes have fish sauce which is the most disgusting thing ever.  It is gross to think about and it stinks.  Just hold your nose and try not to think about it because without it, the dish is just a poor imitation.  So my advice to you is don't skimp the fish sauce.  Trust me!!!  
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb of tilapia fillets
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 tablespoons red curry past
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • zest of 2 limes

Heat a large skillet and add the oil and curry paste.  Stir fry for 1 minute.
Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar and the whole fish.  Cover and cook for 20 minutes, carefully turning the fish once.  Remove to a serving dish and sprinkle with the lime zest before serving.
This recipe called for swamp cabbage...whatever that is.  Honestly, I've no idea.  I've never ever seen it.  If you can find it, give it a try.  We used Spinach and it was great.  This dish is also called Pad Pak Boong Fi Daeng.  Boong?  Really?
Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 lb swamp cabbage or spinach, cut into 1 in. pieces
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 cup sliced green jalapeno pepper
Heat a large skillet until very hot; add the oil and all the remaining ingredients.  Quickly stir-fry for 30 seconds and serve. 
We left out the jalapeno pepper for Winona's dinner.  And yes, she actually ate this.  She is quite the adventurous eater.
Tada.  Isn't that beautiful?

4 comments:

Mandy Mc said...

It IS beautiful. And it looks delicious. We love Thai food at our house, but we usually eat it out. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try soon.

Bethy said...

Thanks Mandy. I'll try to post more Thai recipes for you.

Anonymous said...

Beth~
Swamp cabbage is the heart of a palm tree. Not the big tall palms but the smaller sago palms,I think they are called...maybe anyway its a palm. They grow wild in the swampy areas near my parent house in Florida. Sadly you have to cut the whole tree down to get it. It is very bitter. And makes my eyes water just thinking about it cause I threw up once cause my daddy had me as his taste tester. You have to taste to make sure its not too bitter. Ironic cause its all bitter to me. Trust me when I say spinach was a much better choice. Plus you would have never been able to find it fresh up there. Oh yea love the blog. I am hooked now. Love yall.
Rach

Bethy said...

Thanks Rach! I'm so glad to now know what swamp cabbage is. It was quite delicious with the spinach so I'm not so sad that I didn't have any swamp cabbage.