Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Weekend Adventures

    After our farm vacation we needed time to recoop.  We spent most of the week being lazy bums at home.  By the weekend we were ready to get out again.  We packed Winona up in the car and started driving.  I thought we were just driving but apparently Jake had a plan.
    He drove for about an hour, telling me that he was just driving.  He was actually taking us to a town called Leesburg, Virginia.  It was a surprise because we had never been there.  I had been under the assumption that it was some podunk town but I was pleasantly surprised.  There was a very charming downtown with many local restaurants and boutiques.  As we pulled into town I looked at Jake and said, "Let's move here."
     Now, usually when we travel we scope out the food situation, reading ratings and trying to find the perfect place to eat.  I just read something in Travel + Leisure magazine that perfectly described how we do it.  "Wherever I travel, I'm pretty much consumed with eating.  If I'm not eating, I'm probably looking for food.  And when I'm not looking for food, you'll likely find me looking at food, perusing the shelves of a local supermarket.  Sightseeing?  There's no finer.  Plus, you get to eat the sights." -Peter Jon Lindberg Market Values  Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
     So, you'd be surprised to know that we chose to eat at Moe's.  Yes, I know, Moe's?  But, we don't have a Moe's where we live and it sounded good.  I found out while we were eating there that they have really stepped up their game.  All of their meat is free range/cage free/hormone free/grass fed.  All of their produce is fresh and prepared daily.  I was quite surprised and pleased, making me happy we chose to eat at Moe's.  Some people may argue that Chipotle is better.  I'll have you know that it is owned by McDonald's.  Talk about YUCK!  We do try to vote with our dollar and usually eat local but on this occasion I was happy with Moe's.  
     There are a lot of outdoor things to do in Leesburg and we chose to go to a Mansion/Garden called Oatlands.  We had to pay to do a tour and I would have loved to see the mansion but the package was a little pricey so we spent the afternoon strolling through 4.5 acres of terrace gardens.  Wooooooow.  It was magical.  I felt like a princess strolling along my mansion terrace.  There was a moment that I sat down with Winona and nursed her on a bench in the shade and soaked in all of the sights.  It was quite dreamy.  



 That is a birdhouse.  Wowzers.  

     Little Winz is such a big girl now.  She thinks she's grown.

4 comments:

Christy Ross said...

I love the pictures you post. the end.

Aunt Lisa said...

kinda like Bellingrath Gardens here...miss you

Whitney said...

Such a nice post... sounds so relaxing...

Bethy said...

Thank you guys. I hope you are enjoying my posts.